Satellite vs. HQ: HQ
Non-Beer Options?: Yes - wine, cocktails, cider, and seltzers
Food Options: In-house restaurant
Google Rating: 4.4/5
Yelp Rating: 4/5
Untappd Rating: 3.7/5
Normalized Rating: 28.6/100 (31st)
Website: https://thesuffolkpunch.com/
Area: Middle Southend
Address: 2911 Griffith St suite a, Charlotte, NC 28203
My Evaluation
Beer Rating: 0/5
Atmosphere Rating: 2/5
Overall Rating: 1/5
Evaluation: If it wasn't for my recent trip to D9 Uptown, Suffolk Punch would be my clear-cut choice as worst brewery in Charlotte. In fact, if this ranking was solely about the beer, Suffolk Punch would still be in last place. And while it scores an identical 1/5 with D9, I have given the tie breaker to Suffolk punch because they have a restaurant with mediocre food you can enjoy if you aren't keen to the brewery scene.
As a reminder, a 0 on my beer rating means I would rather be drinking Natty Light. I quite literally mean this. The beers at Suffolk punch are not worth the calories. A gose that tasted like gym socks, a "funky" tasting hefeweizen, and a watered down pale ale come to mind. I really don't know what they're doing over there and I've never head anyone say "hey, you really need to try this beer from Suffolk Punch." It's also generally a bad sign when a brewery serves other breweries' beers (note, I am strictly rating the breweries own beers in these scenarios). And while Suffolk Punch does a have a fair variety of beer, it doesn't sway my ratings. All of them are bad, I'm not given them bonus points for brewing 50 different kinds of toilet water. All-in-all this brewery has the worst beers in Charlotte and its not close. If you go here, make sure to order a beer from one of their guest taps, not a Suffolk Punch beer.
My rating of the atmosphere might surprise some people since this place is generally pretty packed. I'll start with the good first. Suffolk Punch is easily accessible as it backs directly into a light rail stop, serves as a full restaurant with liquor, and is very spacious. However, I feel that Suffolk Punch is a little bit pretentious and over the top. The place gives off strong "I just graduated from college and am trying out this brewery thing" vibes to me and has never felt relaxing to me. To add to it, the brewery has a very cliché modern industrial feel to it that seems very sterile. Its not the worst place to be in Charlotte, but there are plenty of more fun options nearby.
As with D9, the normalized rating provide me with further validation, and Suffolk Punch ranks 31st out of 32. With so many options nearby, I would recommend avoiding Suffolk Punch in favor of just about any other brewery in Charlotte.

Comments
Post a Comment