Skip to main content

29. Heist Brewery

 



Satellite vs. HQ: HQ
Non-Beer Options?: Yes - Full bar, cider, etc.
Food Options: In house
Google Rating: 4.3/5
Yelp Rating: 3.5/5
Untappd Rating: 3.99/5
Normalized Rating: 31.57/100 (29th)
Area: Noda
Address: 2909 N Davidson St STE 200, Charlotte, NC 28205







My Evaluation

Beer Rating: 2.5/5
Atmosphere Rating: 0/5
Overall Rating: 1.25/5

Evaluation: Heist is a marginally pretentious restaurant in Noda that happens to masquerading as a brewery while actually making some surprising decent beer. I wish I could end this post there, because everything I'm about to say will come back to that underlying thesis. The bottom line is that if you don't care about a typical brewery experience and are just looking for a dinner option that happens to have some of their own beer, this may be a place for you.

I've found that Heist's beer is typically hit or miss. Surprisingly, they have one of the highest aggregate beer scores on Untappd, and have some more critically acclaimed heavier barrel aged and DIPA beers. While I've had some Heist beers that are pretty decent and live up to their reputation, I've also had a lot of sub-par to mediocre beers here. From what I recall, their selection isn't overly extensive, but they generally brew every major style you'd want in at least one variety, and their tap rotates at an average frequency. All-in-all their beer is somewhere between OK and good.

I cannot say the same about the atmosphere. Heist is a restaurant first and foremost, and a bad one at that. I know that the food ratings shouldn't play a role here, but I want to let it be known that I have had bad experiences with their food. Food aside, the atmosphere is dark, boring, and unbecoming of a brewery of its size. There is very little outdoor seating, and the inside feels a bit cramped. Heist is never a place that comes to my mind when I am in the mood for going out to a brewery. The vibes at Heist are such that it doesn't compare favorably to the other brewery options in Charlotte.

Once again, I feel validated when I look at the crowd ratings for Heist. Heist has some of the lowest Google and Yelp ratings out of any brewery in Charlotte, but significantly above average beer ratings on Untapped. These three ratings still nets them out to a lowly rank of 29th. Ultimately, I would recommend buying Heist's beers in stores if you want to check them out, and not visiting the actual brewery.

Comments